|City/Town: • Otto • Vilonia|
|Location Class: • Commercial • Residential • Ghost Town|
|Year Built: • 1927|
|Year Abandoned: • 1972|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photographer: • Michael Schwarz • Eddy Sisson|
In the early 1900’s in the town of Otto, a brand new gas station called the Cartwright store opened. The owner, Mr. Cartwright and his family lived in the back of the store and operated the business during the day. Business and income was doing well, until the facility burned in 1927. However, this did not stop the Cartwright’s. Immediately after the fire a brand new stone building was constructed across the street. As indicated by the drawings, banners, and papers on the wall at the front of the store, family was important to the business.
In 1972, Otto was to small of a town to continue operating the grocery store and closed their doors. Several years past and the old structure was gobbled up by trees mother nature. From the road you can still see the façade of brick integrated with stone. The old gas pumps were removed, however and old sign with the gas price of 26 cents still remains inside.