|City/Town: • El Dorado|
|Location Class: • School|
|Year Built: • 1926|
|Year Abandoned: • 2003|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photographer: • James Kirkendall|
Southside Elementary School is the oldest school building in El Dorado that was still in use as of April 23 1986. It is a 2 Story building with a spacious basement. It is one year older then the Yocum Elemtary School in El Dorado. The land was purchased by the El Dorado School district on May 13 1924 and the building was constructed on April 5, 1926. Between 1924 and 1926 classes were conducted in portable buildings. Southside Elementary School had about 300 students up until about mid 1980’s, and they had about 350 students or more during the oil boom. Architects and engineers conducted a survey of Southside Elementary School. $250,000 to replace electrical systems, $500,000 and up to repair heating and cooling, $100,000 to repair foundation problems. $750,000 to $1 million to repair the worn out systems and building would still not be handicapped accessible.
El Dorado School board voted to close Southside Elementary School in 2003.
Article by James Kirkendall
Sources: El Dorado NEWS-TIMES, Barton Library.